Investigating Ian Thorpe’s Relationship With His Brazilian Housemate
Alright, I promised you earlier this morning that I would investigate why the country’s newspapers are getting all excited about the fact Ian Thorpe has a Brazilian housemate named Daniel, and I am a woman of my word.
Here are the highlights from the Daily Telegraph’s report on Thorpie’s ‘s home life.
· Ian Thorpe’s housemate is a Brazilian swimmer named Daniel Mendes.
· Daniel is described as “more slightly built” than Ian.
· Ian Thorpe’s former coach Tracey Menzies set them up (to become friends).
· According to the Telegraph, the pair became training buddies before their friendship developed… into more friendship.
· They’ve lived together for three years – Daniel must be good when it comes to paying the rent on time!
· The two bachelors spent Christmas with Thorpie’s family before flying to Brazil to spend a month with Daniel’s people. Because when you are truly good friends with someone, their family becomes your family. It is right and natural to spend the festive season with them.
· They were recently photographed indulging in totally gay (as in happy!) activities like “sunning themselves and playing in the surf” at Fernando de Noronha.
· And someone from Foxtel confirmed that Daniel was Ian Thorpe’s escort to events like the 2007 Australia’s Next Top Model finale and the 2008 MTV Awards. I guess if you’d lined up some really hot female model type (the kind you have sex with) to take as your date but they kept cancelling at the last minute, you’d be relieved to live with a good friend who was willing and able to quickly don some nice clothes and come with you to important social events. Lucky Thorpie!
· For some reason, the Daily Telegraph chooses to mention the fact that “Six months ago Thorpe stunned fans by proclaiming he was “in love” with someone who did not live in Australia.” in the middle of the article, and then they link to this piece. This must be some sort of mistake, as I can’t see how news Ian Thorpe has been “mates” with a hot Brazilian male swimmer for three years would have anything to do with him mentioning a foreign lover to journalists?!
· Ian Thorpe’s manager told the Daily Telegraph that “the two men were mates.” Well, obviously! They’re great mates!
So in conclusion, I can’t really understand why people are making such a big deal about Ian Thorpe being VERY GOOD FRIENDS with Daniel the Hot Brazilian Swimmer. Maybe the Daily Telegraph is trying to send a message to the youth of today that social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace are no substitute for real mateship which sees pals going on holidays together/spending time with each other’s families/sometimes sharing a bed when it gets really cold and there’s not enough blankets in the house? That must be it. In which case, I hope we all find a Daniel the Hot Brazilian Swimmer one day.
DEFAMER AUSTRALIA FACT! Your Editor happens to live with a Brazilian named Daniel! Which means I have more in common with Ian Thorpe than I ever imagined.
IAN THORPE FACT! Dude needs to kick open the closet doors. And find something nice to wear for when he next goes on a hot and heavy date with Amanda Beard!